The MR HH450 is an all terrain radio, best for snowmobiles, boats, road trips and other uses. Equipped with a strong compact and rugged design, with FLOATING capabilities, this Cobra tech features great quality for VHF radio along with Noise cancelling microphone, NOAA weather radio, Weather Alert, JIS7/IPX7 rated submersible and BURP. Here is a detailed overview of the features and specifications.
The Main Body
The MR HH450 comes with a fully lighted keypad and a large, backlit LCD screen making it usable in the dark. The antenna is removable and can be attached to other devices to expand the range considerably. Built-in floating features allow the unit to float on water, if dropped, and the unit itself is submersible in 1 meter deep water for 30 minutes. Improved ergonomics makes this an excellent handheld radio. Model dimension are: 11.65 inches in height, 2.7 inches in width and 2.17 inches in depth. The weight of the unit is 272 grams (9.59 oz).
Power and volume control is mounted on the top of the unit along with the antenna and an external jack connection for speakers and microphone. The push-to-talk button is mounted on the side of the unit. This model comes with a button key lock feature that is able to resist accidental changes to settings.
The MR HH450 is equipped with Rewind-Say-Again feature that allows it to replay missed VHF calls by recording 20 seconds of incoming audio. Other features include:
- VOX allows user’s voice to be detected and transmitted without the need to press buttons.
- Noise Cancelling Microphone blocks background noise for clearer conversations.
- BURP feature allows the radio to vibrate and grill out water from speakers improving performance.
- Weather Alert with S.A.M.E (Specific Area Message Encoding) allowing setting for your local area, with audible tone alerts and visual alarm only if threatening weather is nearby.
- VHF Frequency Range 156.050 to 163.275 MHz
- GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) Range of 462.550 to 467.7125 MHz
- All NOAA Weather Channels -Instant access to all national hazards and weather information, 24 hours a day.
- Instant access to channel 16 for emergency marine situations.
- Allows programming of unlimited channels for easy retrieval or scanning.
- 15 GMRS Channels
- All USA, Canadian and International Marine VHF Channels
- 88 VHF Marine Frequencies
- 1815 GMRS privacy combinations
Battery requirement s for the models includes the cobra Battery Pack CM 110-026. Input voltage is set at 7.4 VDC. The MR HH 450 uses rechargeable lithium-ion polymer battery and AA Alkaline. Battery life is 8 hours at 6 watts and 16 hours at 1 Watt.
With an impressive range of 30 miles over water on Hi, this model can be rated as one of the best in cobra line-up. But since using VHF in-land is illegal, it’s best that you use GMRS frequencies when you decide to do so. This unit can communicate with all VHF devices, and does not communicate with AM frequencies (CB Radios). The unit comes with a 3 year Manufacturer Warranty.